Sunday, September 4, 2011

Bon Broyage: A Rebrospective

Maybe it's the rosé I spilled on my face, but I think I'm getting pretty teary-eyed as I try to imagine spending four months in Bordeaux without my crew to "go H.A.M.," which, in this particular context, means "eat ham." We've had some kick-ass times over the last two weeks. Join me in my tannic time machine as I explore the rich, full-bodied sojourn that was the Vassar-Wesleyan Paris Program in Bordeaux.
Where do I start? Oh wait, I know: with the muthafuckin' cooking class we took last week.
Basically, we roll up to the Atelier des Chefs not knowing what we're going to make, why there's sand all over the floor, or when the hell we're going to drink. Pretty soon all of our questions are answered. Except for the question about sand. Anyway, one thing leads to another, and all of a sudden we've got this pirate disguised as a chef telling us we'll be making a mango and tomato salad to start, followed by steak served with this little thing called avocado butter. We split into groups of four and cuisine our balls off. Despite WhiteSauce's relatively low standards regarding what he will eat (read: anything), it turns out he's a total pro/bro in the kitchen. Here's a photo of the finished product, courtesy of mademoisellemolly.tumblr.com (my camera got too drunk that day and hasn't worked since):

Dessert was compliments of the pirate chef, but fuck compliments. This day was all about dudes cooking awesome food and then devouring it. WhiteSauce, never one to pass up a meal that a disappointed vegetarian can't have, ate two steaks; attaboy! Of course, there was merlot to wash it all down. Here's the real finished product, if you know what I mean:

Alright, we will continue this journey soon. Right now there's a Nigerian dance party downstairs and a freshly uncorked vino tinto in the fridge that could use some CPR. In the meantime, my friends, enjoy the Big Grape.

No comments:

Post a Comment